- War, Power, International Affairs
- Associate Professor
- Military History
- Atlantic World
- Director, Institute for the Humanities
- 275 Allen Hall
- PhD, Early-Modern French History, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2010
- Dissertation: Dissertation: "The Citizen Army of Old Regime France." Adviser: Jay Smith
- Committee: Christopher Browning, Dick Kohn, Lloyd Kramer, Wayne Lee.
- Secondary Fields: Atlantic History, Military History, Modern European History
- M.A., European History, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2006
- M.A. Thesis: "Citizen Warriors: French Perception of the American Military, 1775-1777. Adviser: Jay Smith.
- B.A., History with Highest Honors, Cum Laude, College of William and Mary, 2004
- Senior honors thesis: "Bridging the Gap: The French Military Linking the American and French Revolutions." Highest Honors. Adviser: Paul Mapp
- Instructor, National Institute for American History and Democracy, Summer, 2010
College of William and Mary
Led discussions with and graded work of advanced high school students operating at the college level .
- Instructor, History Department, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Summer, 2009
Created syllabus, chose readings, created assignments, grades, lectures, led discussion
- Tutor, University of North Carolina Writing Center, 2008-2009
Met individually with students to provide assistance on papers and general writing skills, led workshops on different types of writing
- Teaching Assistant, History Department, University of North Carolina, 2004-2010
Led discussions, graded papers, assisted with assignments and exams
- Student Teacher, AP and Regular U.S. History, Tabb High School, 2003-2004 York County, Virginia
- Citizen Soldiers and the Key to the Bastille (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- “Guibert vs. Guibert: Competing Notions in the Essai général de tactique and the Défense du système de guerre moderne,” Society of Military History Journal 83:1(January 2019) : 43-65.
Articles and Book Chapters
“Guibert vs. Guibert: Competing Notions in the Essai général de tactique and the Défense du système de guerre moderne,” Society of Military History Journal 83:1(January 2019) : 43-65.
“Dynamic Harmony: War and Culture in 18th-Century France and 21st-Century History,” in Cultures et identités combattantes en Europe de la guerre de Cent Ans à l’entre-deux-guerres, vol. 2 of La construction du militaire eds. Benjamin Deruelle and Arnaud Guinier, (Paris : Publications de la Sorbonne, 2017).
“Cincinnatus Reborn: The George Washington Myth and French Renewal during the Old Regime,” French Historical Studies, 2015.
"Early Modern French Armies." In Oxford Bibliographies in Military History. Ed. Dennis Showalter. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- "Pride, Prejudice, and Prestige: French officers in North American during the Seven Years' War," in The Seven Years' War as a Global Conflict: Essays and Interpretations, eds. Mark H. Danely and Patrick J. Speelman (Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers), forthcoming 2012.
- "French / American Alliance" entry in Reporting the American Revolution, ed. Todd Andrick (Sourcebooks, 2012).
- "A Tale of Two Tactics: Laclos's Novel Approach to Military Reform," Eighteenth Century Fiction 22:3 (Spring, 2010): 503-524.
- "Ancient Warriors on Modern Soil: French Military Reform and American Military Images in 18th Century France," French History 22 (June, 2008): 175-196.
- "Patriotism as Power: The Old Regime Foundation for Napoleon's Army," International Congress of Military History Conference Proceedings 2009 (Fall, 2010).
Review of The Military Enlightenment: War and Culture in the French Empire from Louis XIV to Napoleon by Christy Pichichero. H-France, April, 2019.
• Review of A Theater of Diplomacy: International Relations and the Performing Arts in Early Modern France by Ellen R. Welch. H-Diplo, August, 2017.
• Review of St. Louis Rising: The French Regime of Louis St. Ange de Bellerive by Carl J. Ekberg and Sharon K. Person. Journal of American History, 2016.
• Review of L’Honneur du Soldat: Ethique Martiale Et Discipline Guerrière Dans La France Des Lumières by Arnaud Guinier. H-France, H-Net Reviews. September, 2015.
• Review of Controlling Paris: Armed Forces and Counter-Revolution, 1789-1848 by Jonathan M. House. H-War, H-Net Reviews. January, 2015.
• Review of Forging Napoleon's Grande Armee: Motivation, Military Culture, and Masculinity in the French Army, 1800-1808, by Michael J. Hughes. History: Review of New Books, (January, 2014). • Review of The Global Seven Years’ War 154-1763 by Daniel Baugh. H-France Review (Spring, 2013)
• “French / American Alliance” entry in Reporting the American Revolution, ed. Todd Andrick (Sourcebooks, 2012).
• Review of Aristocracy and its Enemies in the French Revolution by William Doyle. History: Review of New Books (Spring,2012)
- "'War by the Book': Visions of Combat in 18th-Century French Literature", presented at the War and Culture Studies Conference in London, England, June 2015.
- "Citizens vs. Conscripts: Guibert's competing arguments in the Essai and the Défense," presented at the Society for Military History Conference in Montgomery, Alabama, April 2014.
- “Bloody Books and Gory Gazettes: Violence and Imagination in 18th-Century French Reading Culture,” presented at the Western Society for French History in San Antonio, TX, November, 2014
- “From Kingpins to Outcasts: French Officers in the Early Revolution,” presented at the Society for French Historical Studies Conference in Quebec City, Canada, April 2014.
- “Enemies to Allies: French texts and the making of American identity,” presented at the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies Conference in Williamsburg, VA, March 2014.
- “'This is Sparta!': French Construction of Masculinity and the American Army,” presented at the Consortium for Revolutionary Era Conference in Oxford, MS, February, 2014
- "A Dream Deferred: The Citizen Army of France, 1760-1791," presented at the Society for the Study of French History Conference in Cardiff, Wales, 2013.
- "Old Regime Illusions and Revolutionary Realities: Competing Views of Citizenship and Military Service, 1789-1792" presented at the Society for French Historical Studies Conference in Boston, MA, 2013.
- "Civil Confidence, Military Madness, and Fictional Foes: The French Army in the Early Revolution," presented at the Society for Military History Conference in New Orleans, LA, 2013.
- "Defense of La Defense: Guibert and his Duty to the Military Enlightenment," presented at the Western Society for French Studies Conference in Portland, Oregon, November, 2011.
- Co-Organizer, "Medieval Music to Contemporary Parks: The 2007-2008 Chateaubriand Workshop," Paris, April 2008.
- "Washington in Paris: the Creation of a Republican Noble," to be presented at the French Historical Studies conference, Charleston, South Carolina, February 2011.
- "Unwitting Sacrifice: The Noble Officer Corps and the rise of the French Soldier, 1760-1789," presented at the Society for Military History Annual Meeting, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia, May 2010.
- "The Arsenal of Revolution: France's Citizen Army 1787-1790," presented at "History of Military, War, and Society Triangle Seminar Series," Durham, North Carolina, March 2010.
- "French Soldiers into French Citizens: New Ideas for an Old Army, 1760-1789," presented at "French Cultural Studies Seminar" in Raleigh, North Carolina, February 2010.
- "La Dernire Goute de Mon Sang: The Sacred Duty of French Officers and their Rejection of Amerindian Allies," presented at "Contest for Continents: The Seven Years' War in Global Perspective," Fort Niagara, Niagara University, Brock University, October 2009.
- "Honor, Zeal, and Defeat: French Military Attitudes towards the Fight for Canada, 1756-1759," presented at "1759 Revisited: The Conquest for Canada in Historical Perspective," London, England, September, 2009.
- "The Citizen Army of Old Regime France," presented at the Triangle Institute for Security Studies "New Faces" Conference, September, 2009.
- "Patriotism as Power: Old Regime Foundations for Napoleon's Army," presented at "The XXXV International Congress of Military History: Warfare in the Age of Napoleon," Porto, Portugal, September 2009.
- "Citizen Soldiers: French Imagery of Americans in Arms during the Eighteenth Century," presented at the Revolutionary Consortium, Savannah, Georgia, February 2009.
- "Reviving Sparta: The Role of Masculinity in French Participation in the American Revolution," presented at the Graduate Student Workshop, "Gender, Experience and Memory, 18th-20th Centuries," May 2007.
- "Citizen Warriors: French Perceptions of the American Military, 1775-1777," presented at the North Carolina Graduate Student Conference, Raleigh, North Carolina, February 2006.
- “From Officer to Gentlemen: French Invention of George Washington and an American People,” presented at The Republics of France and the United States: 240 Years of Friendship conference, organized by Mount Vernon, presented in Paris, France September, 2019
- “Playing with Fire: From American Revolutionaries to French Revolution,” presented at the Society for Cincinnati Library in Anderson House, Washington D.C. June, 2019
- "Entre L’Essai général de Tactique (1772) et la Défense du système de guerre moderne (1779) : deux visions du soldat par le comte de Guibert," presented as part of the Jour d’Etudes sur Guibert at l’Institut Historique Allemand in Paris, France, January, 2019
- “The Shot heard ‘round Europe: George Washington in the Seven Years’ War” presented as part of the George Washington Teaching Institute in Mount Vernon, VA., November, 2016
- “18th Century Global Context” presented as part of the George Washington Teaching Institute in Mount Vernon, VA., August, 2015
- “American Nationality: A French Invention?” presented at The Marquis de Lafayette and the European Friends of the American Revolution conference in Mount Vernon, VA June, 2015.
- “Greatest Enemies to Greatest Allies: France and America in the War for Independence,” to be presented at the Annual Conference on the American Revolution,” in Williamsburg, VA., March 2015.
- “George Washington and France: The Bungler, the General, the Ally, and the Myth,” presented as part of the George Washington Teaching Institute in Mount Vernon, VA July, 2014.
- “The French-American alliance during the American Revolution,” presented as part of the George Washington’s Mount Vernon Teacher Workshop in Greenwood, MS., November, 2013.
- "French involvement in the American Revolution," a series of four lectures prepared and delivered as resources for secondary school teachers and students through the Education program at the Society of the Cincinnati March, 2012
- "In the Name of Honor: Officers of the French Army and their Participation in the American Revolution" presented at the Library for the Society of the Cincinnati. January, 2012
- "Digitizing and Making Information Accessible for Arizona's 100th Birthday" presented at Arizona State University for the department of Public History April, 2011
- Short-term Fellowship, Folger Institute, 2017
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Stipend, 2016
- Gilbert Chinard Grant, Institut Francais d' Amerique, 2012
- HARP Grant, College of Arts & Sciences, Mississippi State University, 2011
- Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Postdoctoral Fellowship in Academic Libraries, 2010-2011
- Tyree-Lamb Research Fellowship, Library of the Society of the Cincinnati, 2009
- Bourse Chateaubriand (French Embassy Grant), 2007
- Faherty Military History grant, 2007
- United Daughters of the Confederacy Scholarship, 2005, 2006
- University of North Carolina Department of History Graduate Assistantship, 2004-2010
- Ellen Monk Krattiger Award in History, College of William and Mary, 2004
- Martin Jurrow Scholarship, Theater Department, College of William and Mary, 2004
- HI 1163 World History before 1500
- HI 4363 Renaissance and Reformation
- HI 4673 Nineteenth-Century Europe
- HI 4773 Modern France
- HI 4990 Early Modern France
- Hi 8803 History of the French Revolution
- HI 8803 History of Atlantic Warfare
- HI 8853 Early Modern Europe
- HI 8893 International Security and Internal Safety Seminar
- Instructor, William and Mary, History 216: From the Founding of Jamestown through the American Revolution, Summer, 2010
- Instructor, UNC, History 151: Western Civilization, Summer, 2009
- Teaching Assistant, UNC, History 369: Warfare and American Society, Spring 2008
- History 151: Western Civilization, Fall, 2008
- History 490: Global History of Warfare, Spring, 2007
- History 151: Western Civilization, Fall, 2006
- History 19: World since 1945, Spring, 2006
- History 11: Western Civilization, Fall, 2005
- History 10: Native American History, Spring, 2005
- History 55: Women in Medieval Europe, Fall, 2004
- Invited Instructor, French 450, College of William and Mary, November 19, 2009 Discussion: Laclos s Les Liaisons
- Co-Organizer, French Film Festival, Mississippi State University, 2014-15
- Social Studies Consultant and Presenter for Science and Social Studies Integration with Literacy and Technology for Teachers 2014
- Member, Program Committee for the Society of Military History annual conference 2013
- Mentor, Day One Leadership Community, Mississippi State University, 2012, 2013
- Member, Institute for the Humanities Advisory Board, Mississippi State, 2012-2014
- Co-Organizer, Symposium for History Undergraduate Research Conference. Mississippi State, 2012-2014
- Rapporteur, Triangle French Studies Seminar, National Humanities Center, 2009-2010
- Graduate Representative, Steering Committee for History of Military, War, and Society Seminar Series, 2009-2010
- Committee on Teaching, UNC-CH, 2006-2007
- History Department Senator to the Graduate Professional Student Federation, 2005-2006
- UNC-CH, Student Representative, Search Committees for History and French, College of William and Mary, 2004
- Member, French Historical Society
- Member, Society of Military History
- Member, Omohundro Institute for Early American History and Culture
- Member, American Historical Association