I am a Ph.D. student in the Department of History at MSU. I am in the EPIC and HOST nodes. My dissertation will examine American maternal and child health care from 1917 to 1969 during times of international and internal crisis.
- Ph.D., History, Mississippi State University, Expected 2017
- M.A., History, Mississippi State University, August 2013
- Thesis: "The Bolton Act and Its Legacy on Nursing in the Deep South"
- B. Sc., Secondary Education (Social Science), Cum Laude, Auburn University, August 2011
- Teaching Assistant, Mississippi State University, August 2011- Present
Review of They Called It the War Effort: Oral Histories from World War II Orange, Texas, Louis Fairchild. H-War, June 2016. https://networks.h-net.org/node/12840/reviews/128470/traylor-heard-fairchild-they-called-it-war-effort-oral-histories-world (accessed August 18, 2016).
Review of Donut Dolly: An American Red Cross Girl’s War in Vietnam, Joann Puffer Kotcher. H-Net, October 2015. https://networks.h-net.org/node/12840/reviews/92567/traylor-heard-kotcher-donut-dolly-american-red-cross-girls-war-vietnam/ (accessed December 7, 2015).
"Genevieve Smith." In An Encyclopedia of Women at War: From the Home Front to the Battlefields, edited by Lisa Tendrich Frank. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2013.
"Women"s Army Training Center." In An Encyclopedia of Women at War: From the Home Front to the Battlefields, edited by Lisa Tendrich Frank. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2013.
“Protecting the Future Generation: The 1930 White House Conference on Child Health and Protection,’ 10th Annual Southern Regional Conference for the History of Science, Technology, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, April 15-16, 2016.
“‘The Health of the Child is the Power of the Nation:’ The Children’s Year, April 1918-1919,” Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science 18th Annual Meeting, William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas , Las Vegas, Nevada, March 17-19, 2016.
“The Fight against Malaria and Tuberculosis in Wartime Alabama and Mississippi, 1941-1945,” Empire, Power, Identity, and Conflict (EPIC) Regional Conference, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS, September 25-26, 2015
"The New Deal for Public Health Nursing in Mississippi and Tennessee, 1933-1938," 80th Annual Meeting of the Southern Historical Association, Atlanta, GA, November 13-16, 2014.
Honors & Awards
2016 Reynolds-Finley Fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham
2016 Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science Travel Grant
2012 PAT Travel Grant
- 2012 MSU Women's Club Scholarship
- James W. Garner Scholarship, Mississippi State University, 2011-Present
- American Association for the History of Nursing
- American Historical Association
- Phi Alpha Theta-Gamma-Nu Chapter, President, 2016-2017, Vice President, 2015-16, Secretary, 2014-2015
- The Society for Military History (SMH)
- Southern Association for the History of Medicine and Science, Treasurer, March 2016-Present
- Southern Historical Association